Monday 29 January 2024

Glen Moray Private Cask Peated Cognac 8yo - review

    Whisky Review 

Glen Moray Peated Cognac

Private Cask. (Distilled: 2015 Bottled: 2023)

RRP: £65

ABV: 59.7%

Maturation: Cognac fully matured

"It's smooth, friendly and inviting. It's a memory bank of summer barbeques of old, finished off with a quality Italian coffee."


Nose: 

Barbequed meats and fruits. It offers a blend of sweet and savoury aromas. A strong, charismatic peat smoke influence combines wonderfully with honeyed berries. There is something musky here too, like engine oil, oak and leather. Certainly showing complexity on the nose and I cant wait to dive in....  


Taste:

Generous helpings of heart warming peat smoke as the theme of barbequed meats continue on the palate. This takes me back to memories of summer barbeques with good beer, good company and everything tasting slightly burnt, but in a good way. Wood tannins, coffee beans and dark chocolate are evident on the finish. This is, quite simply, memories in a bottle for me, The depth of this dram has me captivated with analysis. I've had a few peated whiskies by Glen Moray and they all seem to offer a wonderful flavour profile. They're never overpowered with either ash, smoke or medicinal tones. They offer balance and maintain the sweet Glen Moray character. This invites me back again and again, I mean who doesn't enjoy memories of summer barbeque and a fantastic flavour profile to match. This doesn't need water adding in my opinion. Let the abv transport the full flavour profile and take your time with it, 

Score: 

9/10

Outstanding!!! At no point does the abv of 59.7% show its ethanol brashness. Its smooth, friendly and inviting. Its a memory bank of summer barbeques of old, finished off with a quality Italian coffee. I'm delighted to have this in my collection. I just wish I had bought more. This is honestly as close to a 10/10 I think whisky can get for me. 

An 8 year old, cask strength, peated cognac release which ticks every box there is, whilst coming in at a great price. Glen Moray, a distillery not afraid to experiment with cask finishes whilst having customer affordability and taste preferences in mind. There is something for everyone at Glen Moray with their range. But this peated cognac cask, I wish was all mine. 

*This whisky was self-purchased and the above review reflects my personal opinions only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment