Thursday 18 January 2024

Raasay distillery release review

 Whisky Review 

Isle of Raasay - distillery special release (6813)

ABV: 52%

UK retail price: £85

Maturation: Peated ex-rye whisky cask and finished in ex-oloroso and PX quarter casks

"I'm keen to try more from Raasay after this very respectable introduction to their releases"

Nose:

Gentle and light, the first aroma gives off notes of summer fields and heather. There are some spices kicking around, aniseed and nutmeg I think and a touch of black pepper. Some golden syrup and a background presence of smoke trying to hide. Lets go in....

Taste:

Spices shoot to the forefront here. Black pepper is present again on the palate, battling it out with the sweet sherry influence. Its balanced and complex. Lots going on with each sip. The finish is smoky and dry with added spice. Some BBQ notes arise within the smoke to add a further dimension and texture to this fine dram. 


Summary:

I'm really impressed. For what must be a youthful whisky, it's pleasant and gentle despite its abv. It doesn't require water in my opinion as you get all the complexity and depth just fine without further dilution. 

Score: 

7/10

Its dam good whisky and I'd buy this again. Slightly biased on this bottling as this hold sentimental value for me. Having not long been engaged, my fiancé and I began the search for a perfect engagement ring. On the day we bought it, obviously both delighted, we then walked a few yards to the nearby whisky shop where i was presented with the opportunity to try a few free drams prior to purchase. This was the winner and I bought this bottle for £85.  Regardless of the sentiment, I'm keen to try more from Raasay after this very respectable introduction to their releases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment