Monday 11 March 2024

Laphroaig 10 yo Sherry Oak - Review

Whisky Review 

Laphroaig 10 yo Sherry Oak Finish 

ABV: 48%

RRP: £55-60

"Its salted, burnt barbequed ribs, with some of that ash from the bottom of the BBQ scraped in."

Nose: 

I'll begin this review with a confession of being a huge fan of peated whisky. It's where my whisky journey began, with the likes of Lagavulin 16 and the Dalmore Cigar Malt going back 10 years ago when both were more affordable than the silly prices of today. Knowing I enjoy peated whisky, I had to try this release of the 10 year old which, not only adds a sherry cask finish, but comes in at 48% abv as opposed to the 40% of the standard 10 year old bottling. 

Anyway, to the nose. Antiseptic. Having worked in healthcare and hospitals myself, the smell takes me to surgical theatre rooms. Not something I ever thought I'd strive for in a drink, back when I was watching surgery as a student nurse many years ago. 

There is Elastoplast and paraffin oil. I'm now ascending the stairs to board a plane on holiday whilst they are topping up the fuel of the aircraft. This adds in a salty, warm air breeze, so perhaps its the plane journey home. Either way, not to worry if this is what I have to come home to. There is some tobacco and ash, but I'm not getting much fruit on the nose, perhaps a hint of red grape.  

Taste: 

Sweet upon initially hitting the palate, it offers a good tingle to the mouth and tongue upon introduction. The oak casks are more prominent in the taste than they were on the nose. Its like tasting the charring of the oak. There is definite tobacco, sea salt and ash. Its salted, burnt barbequed ribs, with some of that ash from the bottom of the BBQ scraped in. Its doesn't have the powerful punch of an Ardbeg Uigeadail, but I think I enjoy the fact its more approachable but with a similar taste profile. 

The antiseptic, medicinal notes return with a wave of smoke in the finish. In fact, I'm starting to question if my gums are feeling a bit numb now. ;) 

The finish is initially sweet and I would say medium in length. Absolutely wonderful and right up my street! 




Score: 

8/10

My score is 100% biased towards my love of Islay Peat and BBQ notes. I completely acknowledge that this is, in no way, a complex dram. Self perceived whisky connoisseurs will want more depth, probably higher abv, more complexity and to be challenged. This dram does not tick any of those boxes. Maybe I'm a more simple folk. Maybe It's that I don't need something to be rare and unique to fully appreciate that its ticking most of the boxes that I personally look for. This takes me on a journey with its aroma and makes me smile with each sip. I've lost count of the times I've been sipping this and said out loud in front of the company I'm with, 'Its damn good whisky this mind!' to the non-caring people around me. I've possibly, no probably, said it whilst I've been sat alone too!

I don't tend to replace bottles in my collection, preferring new experiences over repeat ones. However, I imagine that for as long as Laphroaig continue to offer this delightful dram at a sensible price, It will be a staple upon my collection. So, why not a 9? Well, a higher abv would be get me closer and it doesn't quite offer the depth of a 9 rated whisky. I can truly appreciate the medicinal, smoky character, but to attain a 9, I would need a little more fruit influence and depth. 

*This whisky was self-purchased and the above review reflects my personal opinions only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment