Sunday 10 March 2024

Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 yo Sherry Finish - Review

   Whisky Review 

Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 yo Sherry finish  

ABV: 40%

RRP: £35-40

"The Sherry influence hasn't added extra to the Black Label character, but instead replaced some of its recognised popular DNA."

Nose: It's light on the nose with vanilla fudge and honey dominating the aroma. I don't get the usual peat smoke on the nose that would often be found with the standard Black Label. Searching for more, I get boot polish and a touch of prunes as the sherry influence is there, but very subdued on the nose. 

Taste: Light on the palate, as to be expected from a 40% whisky. Vanilla notes and it has a creaminess to it. Its slow to develop on the palate, with the majority of taste coming on the finish. Milk chocolate and dried fruits. Some oak and black pepper and very, very subtle touch of peat smoke. The peat is definitely more subtle than the standard Black Label, but the sherry influence doesn't grab my attention either. 


Summary:  I was keen to try the Sherry Finish as something different to the standard Black Label. I'm a bit confused by it to be honest. Its pleasant enough and certainly an easy sipper. Its approachable and forgiving. However, it feels the character of the Black Label which makes that bottle fairly popular, has been muted within this release. The Sherry influence hasn't added extra to the Black Label character, but instead replaced some of its recognised popular DNA. I wouldn't usually choose a 40% whisky, but I was keen to revisit this bottle which I bought years ago on sale. Thinking that my palate has now developed, i may get more from this bottle that I had originally disregarded. And to be fair, I have. I thought I'd never end up drinking the rest of this, but now I'm more open to having it guarding some of my more prized whiskies on the shelves. 


Score: 

4/10

I think a score of 4 is fair.  With 5 representing an average whisky with plenty of promise, this score of 4 represents a whisky which had promise, but has failed to meet the criteria. Potential, but a bit wasted. The DNA of the Black Label was established enough to be built upon, but instead, this feels like its swapped something out in exchange for the sherry finish. This, in my opinion, is not a good exchange. And on top of that, they are charging a higher RRP than the original. I don't get enough of any particular tasting note or character to truly enjoy its potential. 

*This whisky was self-purchased and the above review reflects my personal opinions only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment