Wednesday 6 March 2024

Kilkerran 8 yo Sherry Cask 2024

 Whisky Review 

Kilkerran 8 yo (cask strength - sherry cask)

(Glengyle distillery, 2024 release

ABV: 57.4%

Maturation: Oloroso sherry casks

"Now transported positively to the coast. But whilst there, we have cigars and ash smoke. If this were to be called a cigar malt, I'd be in agreement."

Nose: 

It has a powerful punch on the nose, offering maritime notes alongside the usual Campbeltown funk or peat aroma. Possibly one of the strangest tasting notes I think I've come across, but I'm being transported to an old swimming pool I used to frequent as a child on the coast of Whitley Bay in the North East. I've no idea why, but as I go back again and again with my nose I'm getting this memory and aroma every time. I know I'm not selling it, but that chlorine, heat and warm air is what I'm getting from this. Confused, I conduct a quick Google search to find chlorine contains sodium chloride which is found in nature as rock salt. So the coastal character is certainly prominent for me. Anyway, moving away from the science and swimming pool, I'm getting cherry sweets, caramel and a faint touch of engine oil. 


Taste:

So I've sampled this particular release on a few occasions now. I had very high expectations being a real Kilkerran fan-boy. I was somewhat, not disappointed, but it felt anti-climactic when I first opened the bottle, thinking I preferred the heavily peated and the 16 year old way more than this. I wasn't sure what this was bringing to the party, apart from the standard kilkerran maritime character, which is great don't get me wrong, but as stated, I had high expectations. However, being patient, allowing the bottle to breathe and showing patience with this one, its really developed wonderfully. On the palate your met with an immediate salty coastal wash. I've moved away from the swimming pool aroma and now transported positively to the coast. But whilst there, we have cigars and ash smoke. If this were to be called a cigar malt, I'd be in agreement. Strong tobacco and a touch of spice. Not much fruit showing its presence for me. The finish is dry but long with that ash smoke lingering. My wife (to be) will hate my breath whilst I drink this, I best keep some mints nearby as this is truly lovely!!


Score: 

7/10

This was a really tricky one to score. I hate half scores, I like to commit. But this is as close to between a 7 and an 8 as it gets. Its very very good. Its great value if you are/were able to get it at retail price ~ £60. For a banger of a cask strength Campbeltown whisky in today's market, its 100% worth your time and money, and if you can find it at retail, I'd recommend it. However, is it a 'must buy' or an essential 'grab at all costs?'. No. Is it much better than the more readily available 'heavily peated' range? No, is my answer. I'm really glad to have this dram and I look forward to trying my Kilkerran collection side-by-side sometime, maybe even in a blind drams session to really explore them in more depth. An idea for the future, maybe if I manage to procure the elusive Port Cask release 8 year old which has been on my wanted list for some time now. 

*This whisky was self-purchased and the above review reflects my personal opinions only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment